22 August 2011

Out of My Mind by Sharon M Draper

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper is about an almost 11 year old girl named Melody who has never uttered a word. Melody can't walk, she can't talk, can't feed herself and people have to help her use the restroom. Melody has Cerebral Palsy and although she is extremely bright, people outside her family and her neighbor don't see past her condition to the brilliant girl she truly is.

Melody has had doctors call her brain-damaged, teachers who insist on teaching the first few letter of the alphabet ALL YEAR long, a dumb Styrofoam snowman and mean kids. She has also had loving parents, wonderful neighbors and a helper named Catherine there with her helping her each step of the way.  When another girl comes to school with a new laptop, Catherine helps Melody research and find something that will finally give Melody a voice. However, not everyone is truly ready to hear Melody, to accept that she's much brighter than she looks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have to admit I loved getting a look into Melody's mind. It was wonderful seeing her thought processes. Sharon M. Draper really made me re-think something about myself and how I view others. You never know what is going on in someone else's head and we shouldn't be so quick to judge.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Tia said...

This book sounds really good. I had never heard of it before. I will check it out. New follower!

Tia @ Falling For Books

Connor Keating said...

Sounds good but sad as well. It's definitely something worth reading but to me it seems like a book that you take your time to read when you actually have it. I find the best time to read the books I find on All you can books on my tablet while traveling long distances.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...